[R-sig-ME] Passing lme4 optimizer arguments to pbmodcomp and afex/mixed

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 15:21:07 CEST 2013

  At the moment it's not possible to increase the number of iterations;
that's on the list to allow, but my guess is that that's not going to
help. Unfortunately, our test cases for lme4 did not include a lot of
binomial GLMMs with complete separation and/or extreme values of the
beta parameters (say |beta|>5).  I suspect that what's going on here is
similar to the examples listing in these issues ..

https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues/134
https://github.com/lme4/lme4/issues/124

  Is it in fact the case that if you fit this model with lme4.0 (or an
older version of lme4) you get large values of beta?

  Looks like we're going to have to put higher priority on fixing this ...

  Ben Bolker