[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models - remedy for pseudoreplication?

Jens Oldeland fbda005 at uni-hamburg.de
Tue Jul 30 12:21:14 CEST 2013

Dear List readers,

we are studying effects of chemical therapies on the proliferation of
cancer cell lines.
My question aims at the practical application of a Mixed Effect Model
(lme in R) of a particular analysis of a cell culture experiment on a 96
well plate and the problem of pseudoreplication.

A 96 well plate looks like this:
http://www.cellsignet.com/media/plates/96.jpg
and receives treatments in the columns 3-10 with 8 wells, i.e. the
replications. We repeated the experiment on 6 days, with one 96 well
plate per day.
We noticed a high intra-day variability.

Since all the cells of one day on which the treatments are applied come
from the same flask and the media and pharmacologic agents, with which
they were treated, are coming from the same tubes, the question arises
if I have to count them as pseudoreplicates.
The analysis of the data using “lme” works just fine, but I worry about
the high number of degrees of freedom, which include the
“pseudoreplicated” measurements.

An alternative would be to average the 8 replicates per day and use an
ANOVA with an Error structure, which seems less elegant to me, since we
are not including the high intra-day variability.

I would be very happy if anyone could give an adivce on how to deal with
this dataset. I found different opinions in the literature, some saying
that LMMs are a "remedy" for 96 well plates and some say that 96 well
plates are per-se pseudoreplicated...

thanks in advance!
Jens

Dr. Jens Oldeland

Post-Doc Researcher & Lecturer @ BEE
Managing Editor - Biodiversity & Ecology

Biodiversity, Ecology and Evolution of Plants (BEE)
Biocentre Klein Flottbek and Botanical Garden
University of Hamburg
Ohnhorststr. 18
22609 Hamburg,
Germany