[R-sig-ME] glmer with nAGQ > 1

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 17:36:07 CEST 2013

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT <wolfgang.viechtbauer at ...> writes:

> I just tried to fit a mixed-effects logistic regression model with
> version 0.99999911-5 of lme4 (installed from github). The model
> includes a random effect for clusters and a random group/treatment
> effect. I received the following error:

> Error in updateGlmerDevfun(devfun, glmod$reTrms, nAGQ = nAGQ) : nAGQ
>   > 1 is only available for models with a single, scalar
>   random-effects term

> Indeed, I had set nAGQ > 1 to get more precision with the evaluation
> of the integrals via Gauss-Hermite quadrature. It's clear what the
> error message says, but I am wondering if this is going to be a
> permanent design choice or something temporary.

   It's probably a "foreseeable future" decision (alas).

   I don't know the guts of the AGQ calculation tremendously well,
so I don't know exactly what would be involved in constructing
a multi-dimensional AGQ.  Taking a brief look back at lme4.0/old-lme4,
it seems that only a single _grouping variable_ was allowed, but
it was not limited to scalar random effects terms, so it might
not be too horrible to re-implement ... but it's not on the
urgent "to do" list at the moment ...  (Anyone want to volunteer
to take a look at the code and implement this ???)

  Ben