[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm:interaction bt continuous variable and categorical random effect

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:59:20 CEST 2013

Hi John,

That is the basic idea, but I doubt you want to parameterize it quite
that way.  I would suggest:

Model1 <- MCMCglmm(used ~ slope + elevation + road,
  random = ~ us(1 + road):wolf + pack, family = "categorical",
  data = datum, prior = prior1, pr = TRUE)

which would fit a random intercept and slope by wolf, that are allowed
to be correlated, as well as a random intercept by pack (assumed
orthogonal to the others).

Having road in the fixed effects portion will give you the overall
effect, and then the random effects bit will be shrunken deviations
from that.

Cheers,

Joshua