[R-sig-ME] Is there any way to model nested random effects in MCMCglmm?

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 29 17:49:25 CET 2013

Hi,

Stating that terms are explicitly nested is not necessary as long as
everything is given a unique identifier. For example, you don't have
the same trait within a species. If you do, you can just relabel it.
Then use:

random~Species+Population+Trait

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Ivain MARTINOSSI--ALLIBERT
<ivain.martinossi--allibert at agroparistech.fr> on Fri, 29 Mar 2013
16:20:50 +0100 (CET):

> Hello,
> I have data of quantitative gentics composed of various traits
> measurement for multiple population and multiple species.
> In each species one can find few populations and in each population
> a few traits are measured, so I initially constructed a glmer model
> as follows:
>
> model<-glmer(response~fixed effetcs+ (1|Species/Population/Trait) , data=a)
>
> I needed then to add phylogeny to my analysis and decided to use
> MCMCglmm. I realised I was unable to take into account the nested
> structure of the three random effects:
> Species, Population and Trait
> If anyone has an idea of how it should be done, I would be very
> grateful for help.
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.