[R-sig-ME] optimizers for mixed models

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 02:47:07 CET 2013

Pantelis Hadjipantelis <kalakouentin at ...> writes:

> I have personally used uobyqa() from minqa package (not bobyqa()) with
> success as a fast way to optimize the log-restricted-deviance without using
> derivatives. I had to move the optimization constraints within the function
> evaluation (ie. exponentiating everything before being used so I make sure
> they appear positive, taking cosines to bound parameters with [-1,1]). It
> appeared rather robust in cases that gradient-assisted BFGS seemed to
> converge to local minima's.

  Good to know.  Just to repeat: in many cases the best-fitting model
is singular, i.e. located on the constraint boundary of one or more of
the theta parameters -- in which case transforming to remove
constraints isn't a great idea -- but maybe "the gradient-assisted
BFGS seemed to converge to [a] local [minimum]" means precisely that
the solution was *not* on this boundary ... this ability to handle
singular cases is very convenient, and is in IMO one of lme4's
strengths.

  Ben Bolker

 [snip]