[R-sig-ME] Can AIC be approximated by -2ln(L) i.e. the deviance, at very large sample size?

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Mon Mar 4 09:21:39 CET 2013

Hi,

It is probably a pointless remark, but if for instance your 1.02 OR is
for age expressed in years, then a 10-year older individual will have
an OR of 1.02^10 = 1.2 and a 20 years older one an OR of 1.49, which
is not so negligible compared to your 1.5 OR for, let's say, sex...

In other words, difficult to judge on only the values not knowing the
context and the variables...

But that certainly does not help for your matter. May be, by trying to
generalize the "equivalence tests", you may construct a kind of test
to select OR only if proven of higher importance than a given cutoff,
based on clinical/practical considerations (or, conversingly, to prove
that this OR is of not practical importance) --- but may be also
methodologically difficult if the cutoff is selected after analysis.

In other words, may be the question is not well translated as a
question on significance/difference tests?

Hope this hints may help...