[R-sig-ME] Partial effects in mixed models

Thompson,Paul Paul.Thompson at SanfordHealth.org
Fri Mar 1 15:30:44 CET 2013

Take a look at

@ARTICLE{Nakagawa-2012-1,
  author = {Nakagawa, S. and Schielzeth, H.},
  title = {A general and simple method for obtaining R$^2$ from generalized
	linear mixed-effects models},
  journal = {Meth. Ecol. Evol.},
  year = {2012},
  pages = {1-120},
  doi = {10.1111/j.2041-210x.2012.00251.x},
  owner = {THOMPSOP},
  timestamp = {2012.12.16}
}
They discuss using residuals.

-----Original Message-----
From: r-sig-mixed-models-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-sig-mixed-models-bounces at r-project.org] On Behalf Of Steven J. Pierce
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 7:34 AM
To: v_coudrain at voila.fr; r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Partial effects in mixed models

It is my understanding that each coefficient in a model with multiple predictors reflects the effect of that predictor conditional on the set of other predictors included in the model. Isn't that exactly what you're trying to obtain?

If you want to explicitly model the effects of both predictors on the response and simultaneously model the correlation between those predictors, you could switch over to using a multilevel structural equation model. Mplus (a commercial software package) allows you to use Poisson response variables in such models. There may also be R packages that also allow such models, but I have not really looked to verify that.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT) Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu