[R-sig-ME] Partial effects in mixed models

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Fri Mar 1 03:23:33 CET 2013

Why not just run a model with both predictors instead? See King (1986) for one perspective on why extracting the residuals to use as the dependent variable in another model is sub-optimal. That paper is about plain old OLS regression, but I suspect it still is applicable logic.

King, G. (1986). How not to lie with statistics: Avoiding common mistakes in quantitative political science. American Journal of Political Science, 30(3), 666-687.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University
E-mail: pierces1 at msu.edu