[R-sig-ME] Nested fixed factors in glmer: Error in mer_finalize(ans) : Downdated X'X is not positive definite, 1.

PALACIO BLASCO, SARA s.palacio at ipe.csic.es
Thu Feb 28 15:27:48 CET 2013

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for your e-mails. The structure of my data is not the one in
your examples but:

Factor 1: a,b,c
factor 2: 1,2,3,4,5,6

combination:
a.1, a.2, b.3, b.4, c.5, c.6

note factor 2 is nested within factor 1, so that not all levels of
factor 2 are in every level of factor 1.
Hence I do not have a full factorial or crossed design but a hierarchical one.

My question: How can I include such a design in glmer?

Cheers,

Sara