[R-sig-ME] random effect syntax

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Thu Feb 14 12:03:12 CET 2013

Dear John,

Let's consider first the difference between (site|year) and (1|year:site). Both define an effect for each site-year combination. But with (site|year) the effects of site can be correlated whereas (1|site:year) assumes that they are independent.

It's a bit more complicated when you add a random slope along age. In (age|year:site) the random slope along age and the random intercept are correlated with each other but not with site. With (age + site|year) now age and site are correlated and the correlation between age and the intercept is at the level of year instead of year:site. So you assume a different slope per year instead of per year:site combination.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey