[R-sig-ME] [R] lmer - BLUP prediction intervals

Daniel Caro dcarov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:32:53 CET 2013

Dear Jarrod

Thank you for the practical advice and thank you all for the
interesting comments.

I was able to calculate Cinv. In my model,

m1 <- lmer(Difference ~ 1+ (1|Item) + (1|Examiner), data=englisho.data)

this matrix is of size 47x47, which is equal to the number of Items
(ni=24) + number of Examiners (ne=22) + number of fixed effects
(nb=1). Or p (1)+q (46) in the lme4 manual. Cinv is not symmetric and
I am wondering how to interpret the position of covariances in the
matrix. I thought the row/columns would be: [overall intercept,
uitem1...uitem24, uexaminer1...uexaminer22]. But it seems not? And is
the diagonal for the random effects for the examiners, for example,
comparable with the results of

attr(ranef(m1, postVar=T)[["Examiner"]], "postVar")[1,1,]

?

Again, thank you for your help.

All the best,
Daniel