[R-sig-ME] [R] lmer - BLUP prediction intervals

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Feb 7 15:45:38 CET 2013

Andrew:

I agree with you and think that is reasonable too, but would offer the following thoughts. Doug and I have talked about this for a while. As usual, he makes excellent points and I've struggled with this specific issue.

In the end, I have found myself taking the position that you argued. It remains uncontroversial to add the estimate of the fixed effects with the BLUPs. Doug noted one is _estimated_ as a parameter (i.e., the fixed effect) and the BLUP is not estimated in the same way the fixed effect is as a model parameter.

But, it is _kind of_ an estimate. It is predicted conditional on the variance components and the fixed effects themselves and it has a sampling distribution.

So, I've taken the position that these are two statistical "things" both with model-based sampling distributions and a covariance term.

In my world, there are often stakes associated with the use of the data and if I were to ignore the covariance term between the BLUPs and the fixed effects I could risk underestimating the true sampling variance of that linear combination.

So, in my world, I view them as a linear combination with a covariance term and represent the variance of them as such.