[R-sig-ME] [R] lmer - BLUP prediction intervals

Emmanuel Curis curis at pharmacie.univ-paris5.fr
Wed Feb 6 09:39:24 CET 2013

Hello,

I think it also depends on what kind of prediction you want to make,
assuming continuous predictors --- at least if I well understood the
mixed effect models ideas...

For instance, imagine you fit a model on several patients for let's
say drug concentration with time, assuming patient as a random effect
on concentration.

If you want to use the model to predict for a new patient, the
approach of adding the variance component of the patient random effect
to the variance of the residuals should work, I guess.

However, if you want to use the model to predict concentrations for
one of the patients already in the model, for a new administration for
instance or intermediate times or..., I think the use of its random
effect « estimate » would be more suited. I think this is more in this
second case that the concern between ranef outputs and estimates «
correlations » occurs, no? In the previous one, this would be the
correlation between the estimate of the residual & random effect
variances and the fixed effects estimates that would matter --- Am I
wrong saying that all of these are estimates, including the variance
and eventually covariance terms?

Best regards,