[R-sig-ME] [R] lmer - BLUP prediction intervals

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Feb 5 19:49:09 CET 2013

Ben,

I'm not sure the predictions of the conditional modes and the estimates of the fixed effects are orthogonal. I don't think it's possible to spit out that covariance from lmer(), though I could be wrong.

My own software for fitting mixed models uses henderson's method. Under this framework, I output the matrix giving the covariance between the fixed effects and the BLUPs.
The easiest way to see thi is to go to this wiki page and look at the eqn under estimation.

The matrix in the upper right block (X'R^{-1}Z) is the one giving those covariances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_model