[R-sig-ME] Graphing interaction terms in LME4, glmer

Shane Gleason sgleason at siu.edu
Mon Jan 28 23:32:27 CET 2013

Hello everyone,

I am working with lme4, specifically the glmer command.  In a multilevel
model I have an interaction term which is significant. However, with my
discipline we stress that an interaction term cannot be evaluated by p
value alone and one must reference a graphical display of the
interaction, with confidence intervals drawn around it.

That is to say if the interaction is X*Z then the interaction might be
significant when X=1 and Z=3, but may not be significant if X=4 and Z=9.

I have searched around and I can't seem to find any indication of how to
graph out the interaction (though I see some references to it for lmer
(but never glmer)).  So, my question is two-part- 1: Does this
assumption about how interaction terms work hold for MLMs?  2: If the
answer to 1 is yes, does anyone know of software I can use to graph out
these interactions?

Thanks,

Shane

--