[R-sig-ME] bivariate-response mixed model (MCMCglmm) versus mixed-RMA regression options

Ned Dochtermann ned.dochtermann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 22:24:10 CET 2013

Hello all,
I'm currently working on a project where I'm interested in the
relationship between two variables that are measured with error,
suggesting the need for reduced major axis regression. However, the data
structure also necessitates the inclusion of random effects for both
variables so I initially thought to use a bivariate-response mixed
model. Unfortunately the relevant covariance/correlation isn't quite
what I'm interested in for the biological question of interest.

The tentative solution I've come up with is to use the variances and
covariances to estimate a slope (COVx,y/VARx) and the slope and variable
means to calculate the intercept. Since I'm doing this on the posteriors
I'm able to get credibility intervals and mode estimates and not have to
run a regression on the BLUPs. This gets directly at the question in
which I'm interested and does so at the level that is relevant.

Does this seem like an appropriate approach? Are there mixed versions of
RMA (google didn't reveal anything to me) or other alternatives that
seem preferable?

Thanks for any feedback and sorry for a bit of rambling and the open
ended nature of the query,
Ned

(slope.me<-posterior.mode(ests.trunc$VCV[,2]/ests.trunc$VCV[,4]))
HPDinterval(ests.trunc$VCV[,2]/ests.trunc$VCV[,4])
intercept.me<-ests.trunc$Sol[,1]-slope.me*ests.trunc$Sol[,2]
posterior.mode(intercept.me)
HPDinterval(intercept.me)

--
Ned A. Dochtermann
Assistant Professor / Department of Biological Sciences

https://sites.google.com/site/neddochtermann/
ned.dochtermann at ndsu.edu