[R-sig-ME] Offset vs fixed factor in a mixed poisson model

Highland Statistics Ltd highstat at highstat.com
Fri Jan 18 21:55:15 CET 2013

On 18/01/2013 16:34, v_coudrain at voila.fr wrote:
> Thank you very much. There is still a "small" problem. If then the estimate of the variable to be set as an offset is not around 1, I should not put it as an offset.
> How do I then can control for its effect?
What about:

Y_i ~Poisson(mu_i)
log(mu_i) = alpha + beta_1 * x_i + beta_2 * z_i

That's a model where beta_1 shows the partial effect of x_i.....which
means...the effect of x_i while taking into account z_i..and vice versa.

But now your collinearity is going to cause some trouble. I am not sure
whether the partial linear regression equivalent for a Poisson GLMM
exists.....

Alain

Email: highstat at highstat.com