[R-sig-ME] stepwise model selection (of fixed effects only) using AIC?

Steve Taylor steve.taylor at aut.ac.nz
Mon Jan 7 21:49:42 CET 2013

Obrigado, Diego.  Yes I have studied a little bit of information theory, tho my recollections are hazy.

> you can not compare combinations of fixed effects of class "mer" with REML = TRUE.
Curious then, that that's the default value, and that the default anova() does precisely that by comparing two models differing only in the fixed effects included.

I'm aware of the objections, such as the danger of spurious relations.  But I cannot see why they prevent step(glmer()) when step(glm()) has been a standard feature in R for many years.  The real reason seems to be the fact that methods in package:stats don't work with S4 objects.

With my sample size, I think the difference between AIC and AICc is negligible.

cheers,
    Steve