[R-sig-ME] mixed manova?

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 06:55:45 CET 2013

Hi,

If there is no natural ordering to the habitats you could use a
multinomial mixed model, if there is you could use an ordinal mixed
model. There are various libraries that have functions for fitting
such models, for example mlogit, mixcat, ordinal & MCMCglmm. It might
prove tricky with small samples sizes particularly if the number of
observations per individual is small.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Sarah Jamieson <sarah.emily.jamieson at gmail.com> on Wed, 2 Jan
2013 17:16:38 +1300:

> Hi.
>
> I am trying to determine whether habitat usage in birds varies between sex
> (male/female) or among seasons (summer, autumn, winter, spring).  I tracked
> 40 individual birds but my success locating each bird each season varied
> (e.g., in summer I only have data for 33 birds, while in winter I have data
> for all 40).
>
> I think I need to run a mixed manova model      habitat1 habitat2 habitat3
> = sex + season + sex*season + birdID  (birdID as the random factor)
>
> I am VERY new to R and have been flailing for 2 days trying to figure this
> out.  Can anyone help me with codes?
>
> Sarah
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.