[R-sig-ME] Solution to missing ID??

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Mon Dec 31 21:41:39 CET 2012

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013, Luciano La Sala wrote:

> I have a dataset consisting of weights collected from two flocks of
> chickens; treatments (infected with some bug) and controls (given a
> placebo). The same two groups were followed over time and the weight of
> each chicken was taken at seven equally spaced time points. I need to
> assess the effect of treatment and time on body weight, but I may have
> pseudo-replication problem here since seven measurements were collected
> from each bird overtime the course of the experiment. Having said that,
> I thought that including chicken ID as random intercept would help me
> circumvent this issue, but unfortunately, the chickens were not
> individually identified and the repeated measures can't be allocated to
> each of the birds. I guess this will preclude me from implementing a
> mixed effects model. Is there a way / analytical approach to circumvent
> this problem, i.e. get rid the pseudo-replication issue?

You might consider a delete-d jackknife approach. This should
help to improve your variance estimates even though you can't identify
the true clustering in the data - presumably you have retained individual
measurements even though you don't know who the individuals are.  An
alternative might be to collect longitudinal data on a new subgroup, and
fit to both datasets as a missing data type problem.