[R-sig-ME] linear mixed model with non-monotonic longitudinal data

Brad Buran bburan at galenea.com
Thu Dec 27 23:31:55 CET 2012

That was very helpful.  It didn't occur to me that it was possible to use functions such as poly in the equation.  That said, it seems that none of the models (i.e. the ones I mentioned nor the ones you suggested) seem to be a good fit for the data based on the residuals.  Since the original model was defined in SPSS (using the genlinmixed function), I want to try to determine the actual model that SPSS uses (they make you step through a GUI to define your model rather than defining an equation like R does).  I haven't been able to find any documentation on how the inputs to the genlinmixed command are transformed into a model that I could try to create in R (so I can check it's validity).

Is anyone aware of how SPSS model GENLINMIXED with SUBJECTS=subject_id, REPEATED_MEASURES=time, FIXED_EFFECTS=genotype time genotype*time would translate to a R formula?

Thanks!
Brad