[R-sig-ME] Mixed-Effects Models with Group or Covariate-Dependent Autocorrelation

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Dec 12 15:51:40 CET 2012

Dear All,

I am currently working with some mixed-effects models for longitudinal data where I want to test hypotheses about the difference in the strength of the autocorrelation between two groups. In particular, let's say I have data of the form:

person  time  group  y
----------------------------
1       0     A      <value>
1       1     A      <value>
1       2     A      <value>
...     ...   ...    ...
2       0     A      <value>
2       1     A      <value>
2       2     A      <value>
...     ...   ...    ...

and I want to fit the model:

y_ij = beta_0 + beta_1 time_ij + u_0i + u_1i time + e_ij,

where i is the index for person, j is the index for time, u_0i ~ N(0, tau^2_0) is a random effect for the intercepts, u_1i ~ N(0, tau^2_1) is a random effect for the slopes, cov(u_0i, u_1i) = tau_01 is the covariance between these two random effects, and now I want to fit an AR(1) structure for the errors e_ij, where the autocorelation is rho_A for people from group A and rho_B for people from group B. In principle, I may also want to let the error variance to differ for the two groups (i.e., sigma^2_A and sigma^2_B).

In nlme, I can fit models with a common autocorrelation structure for the two groups, with:

lme(y ~ time, random = ~ time | person, correlation = corAR1(form = ~ time | person))

but as far as I can tell, it is not possible to allow the autocorrelation parameter to differ between the two groups.

Does anybody know of a package/function that would allow fitting such a model?

Moreover, the groups are actually created by dichotomizing a continuous measure. Ideally, I would like to fit a model, where rho depends on the continuous measure directly. Or, to avoid issues related to rho having to fall between -1 and 1, it would probably make more sense to assume that f(rho) depends on that continuous measure, where f() is the arctanh (inverse hyperbolic function or Fisher's r-to-z) transformation. Again, any ideas on packages/functions that may handle such a model?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology