[R-sig-ME] How to compute heritabilities on binomial response variables...

Rudy Garel rudy.garel at unil.ch
Fri Dec 7 12:40:01 CET 2012

Hi everybody,

I am working on Atlantic salmon embryos and I wondered if anyone knows
how to compute heritabilities on binomial response variables like survival?
Here is the model that I use to extract the variance components on a
gaussian response variable (cf R book, p.640):

lmer(Bodylength~1+(1|Fem)+(1|factor(Mal))+(1|Fem:factor(Mal))+(1|factor(Inc)))

... where "Fem" is the female or mother effect, "Mal" the male or father
effect and "Inc" the incubator effect.
And so I tried to extract the variance components on a binomial response
variable drawing inspiration of this model as follows:

glmer(Survival~1+(1|Fem)+(1|factor(Mal))+(1|Fem:factor(Mal))+(1|factor(Inc)),family="binomial")

The problem with this last model is that it does not give me the
residual variance (which is normal with binomial data) and so I can not
compute heritability.
Does anyone know an approach on R to compute heritabilities on binomial
response variables?
Thanks in advance for paying attention to this mail.

Cheers,

--
Rudy Garel, PhD Student
Department of Ecology and Evolution, Biophore Building