[R-sig-ME] Difference of lme4 between the CRAN version and the development version

Joehanes, Roby (NIH/NHLBI) [F] roby.joehanes at nih.gov
Thu Dec 6 19:09:49 CET 2012

Hi all:

I am wondering if anyone could explain to me the difference of lme4 that is in the CRAN and of the development version. The mathematics and the method to compute the estimates for the development version are covered in the following document:
http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/lMMwR/lrgprt.pdf

However, I do not know any such manual for the CRAN version. Could anyone point to me to the right direction? Are the vignette documents in CRAN the right ones ( http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/index.html )?

With this information, I hope I could troubleshoot the errors I am encountering with it and pedigreemm, primarily the dreaded Cholmod error of "Downdated X'X is not positive definite" that I am getting with the development version, but not with the CRAN version).

Thank you,
Roby