[R-sig-ME] question about confidence intervals with glmmPQL

mintoc at mathstat.dal.ca mintoc at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Nov 27 18:31:38 CET 2012

Hi Sally,

> For two models the CIs are not symmetrical around the mean proportion
from the model

The confidence intervals, as implemented in the code you sent, are
symmetric on the linear predictor (logit) scale and not necessarily
symmetric on the response scale.

Also, see Bolker et al. (2009) for a discussion of the performance of PQL
with low numbers of successes and failures; and Zeger et al. (1988) for
extracting marginal parameters in a logistic mixed model such as yours.

Best regards,
Coilin

Bolker, B.M., Brooks, M.E., Clark, C.J., Geange, S.W., Poulsen, J.R.,
Stevens, M.H.H., and White, J.S. (2009). Generalized linear mixed models:
a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology and
Evolution, 24(3), 127-135.

Zeger, S.L., Liang, K.-Y. and Albert, P.S. (1988). Models for longitudinal
data: a generalized estimating equation approach. Biometrics, 44,
1019-1031.