[R-sig-ME] R-sig-mixed-models Digest, Vol 71, Issue 34

Laurence O'Dwyer larodwyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:07:23 CET 2012

Hi Alan and Alain,
                          I see that you might want to have >10 subjects within
each level of a factor that is constructed by making one level for
each combination
of the random effects.
However, I have 3 REs that are continuous variables:
age, ADHD_symptom_scores, TBV[Total_Brain_Volume].
So, in that situation, I'm not sure how to calculate what you suggest
unless I transform them into categorical variables, e.g.:
dat$age_5_levels = cut(dat$age, 5)
In that situation I would most likely have <10 subjects in some
of the levels of a factor that is constructed by making levels from
each combination of the REs.

Age and gender, are not significantly different between experimental groups
in this dataset, so I experimented with excluding them from the REs.
I very much wanted to control for ADHD symptoms in the REs, as this
was the whole idea of the model; i.e. to try to isolate autistic traits
within ADHD subjects, and determine to what extent these traits
are influenced by particular anatomical structures when the ADHD
symptom levels are controlled for in the REs.

So, trying to eliminate unnecessary REs (age and gender), the model is:

another.moo = MCMCglmm(autism_spectrum_scores ~ Diagnosis + Striatum +
Amygdala + Hippocampus,
                                          random = ~ADHD_symptom_scores
                                                    + scanner_binary
                                                    + TBV,
                                          data=dat)

I would like to keep total brain volume (TBV: a continuous variable),
and scanner type (scanner_binary: 0 or 1, for two different scanner
types) as REs.
These variables are significantly different between experimental groups.

For the above model, again, I'd be grateful for any pointers regarding how to
assess or improve it's validity.
Apologies for the necessary hand holding.

Thanks; Larry