[R-sig-ME] Error in .local(object, n, verbose, ...) : Update not yet written

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 23:38:15 CET 2012

joana martelo <jmmartelo at ...> writes:

> Dear list
>
> I'm trying to model fish data with a binomial distribution for prey capture
> success, using GLMM. My models look like  this:
>
> Model1<-glmer(capture~velocity+(1|fish.id.),family=binomial,data=cap)
>
> I'm using lme4, however, when I use the function mcmcsamp to obtain the
> posterior distribution of the parameters I got this error:
>
> Error in .local(object, n, verbose, ...) : Update not yet written
>
> I'm using R version 2.15.2. Anyone knows what the problem might be?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Joana

  mcmcsamp has never worked for GLMMs and at this point probably
never will, because writing a reliable post-hoc MCMC sampler (i.e.,
one that doesn't get stuck at low parameter valuables or have
other undesirable behaviour) has turned out to be really, really
hard.

  If you really want the posterior distribution of the parameters,
it should be pretty easy to fit your model using MCMCglmm.  If you
want confidence intervals it's unfortunately harder than it should
be, but you might try parametric bootstrapping ... (the pbkrtest
package has parametric bootstrapping, but it is designed for
parameter testing via model comparison rather than for finding
posterior/sampling distributions of parameters).

  Ben Bolker