[R-sig-ME] Error in glmer fit

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:45:43 CET 2012

Ben Bolker <bbolker at ...> writes:

> Kevin E. Thorpe <kevin.thorpe at ...> writes:
>

> > Thank you both for your responses.  Unfortunately neither solves the
> > problem.  Using nAGQ=5 with lme4 results in the same error as already shown.
> >
> > At Thierry's suggestion, I tried lme4.0 and get a different error.
> >
> > glmer(InInt~speciality+position+stkperyr+conf+
> > age+years+risk+stktype+(1|pid),data=dord4mod,family=binomial)
> > Error in validObject(.Object) :
> >    invalid class "mer" object: invalid object for slot "resid" in class
> > "mer": got class "labelled", should be or extend class "numeric"
>
>   This is a pretty weird error.  Is this from a clean session?
>   Is there any chance you can provide a reproducible problem?
>   (You could send me your data.)

  OK, on closer inspection: the problem is simply that
lme4 is complaining that it's expecting the response to be
numeric: class "labelled" is not "numeric".

A simple workaround is
glmer(as.numeric(InInt)~speciality+position+stkperyr+conf+
   age+years+risk+stktype+(1|pid),data=dord4mod,family=binomial)

The development version of lme4 doesn't appear to hit the
same problem, but runs into a PIRLS problem at some point later
in the code you sent me (with ...

dord.glmer <- glmer(InInt~speciality+position+
 stkperyr+conf+age+years+risk+stktype+(1|pid),
   data=dord4mod,family=binomial)
)

  Ben Bolker