[R-sig-ME] Getting started with lme4

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 9 18:08:54 CET 2012

On Nov 9, 2012, at 8:16 AM, Joehanes, Roby (NIH/NHLBI) [F] wrote:

> Hi Asaf:
>
> For Mac OS X (If I read you correctly), you should use the menu (Packages &
> Data --> Package Installer). Then, click "Get List", navigate to lme4,
> select "Install Dependencies" and click "Install Selected".
>
> As far as I know, Penicilin data is not in lme4.

Asaf;

I see problems with both paragraphs of this answer. The code you offered below did not specify the type of package and I am of the understanding that r-forge packages are usually of type="source". `install.packages` will default to type="mac.binary". Compiling packages from source on a Mac requires that you have the development tools for that purpose.

It is possible to install source packages with the GUI Package Installer, and it is possible to use the "Other Repository" dropdown choice, but that still requires that you have installed the needed development package.

I had no difficulty with this code:

data('Penicillin', package="lme4")

... but got a warning with just data(Penicillin) because I did not have my copy of lme4 loaded at the time.

Generally questions about installing packages on a Mac should go to the proper R SIG mailing list. I would ask whether there is a reason you are not using the CRAN binary package? It would seem you are not quite ready for being on the bleeding edge.

--
David.

Running MacOS 10.6.8
R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat"
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)