[R-sig-ME] lmer: effects of forcing fixed intercepts and slopes

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed Nov 7 10:00:52 CET 2012

Mixed models are not that scary. I would recommend to read Zuur et al (2009). It was written with 'mainstream researchers' (in ecology) in mind. It start with simple linear models and gradually adds complexity (glm, gam, lmm, glmm, gamm, ...)

@BOOK{ZuurMixedModels,
  title = {{M}ixed {E}ffects {M}odels and {E}xtensions in {E}cology with {R}},
  publisher = {Springer New York},
  year = {2009},
  author = {Zuur, Alain F. and Ieno, Elena N. and Walker, Neil J. and Saveliev, Anatoly A. and Smith, Graham M.},
  doi = {10.1007/978-0-387-87458-6}
}

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium
+ 32 2 525 02 51
+ 32 54 43 61 85
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey