[R-sig-ME] Maximizer failed

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:53:45 CEST 2012

Ammara Mahmood <Ammara.Mahmood at ...> writes:

> I tried extra.args="-ndi 60000" and still got the message to
> increase the calls. I increased the calls to 80000 and got the same
> error, however, at 90,000 and 100,000 the program freezes and R runs
> forever and does not respond.

> Could you please suggest another solution.

  My best guess, in the absence of a reproducible example, is
that you are running out of memory.  Does the model work with
a subset of your data?  (How big is your full data set?)

  If you can't get glmmadmb to run, you *might* be able to
do a bit better with a full AD Model Builder model (although
that's more work to figure out).  Alternatively, you might
be able to use some kind of cluster correction for your
confidence intervals ...

> I am trying to use the Glmmadmb to model truncated negative
> binomial with random effects in the count and zero part.

 (Note that at present there are no random effects in the
zero part ... and the current glmmADMB interface doesn't
make it easy to do this ...)

>  The models
> run fine when i I do not include the random effects. The data is on
> page views per individual at a news paper website over a period of
> 1 month, hence I want to include person specific random effects.
> And I create the group Id by person.
>
> So I have been able to run the following successfully:
>
> output <- glmmadmb(tot_pv~   time_last_visit + friends_residual+
> number_friends + like_counter + avg_gap_activity + dum_local +
> dum_sport + dum_more + dum_tvzap  + number_like +
> tot_daily_visits_o + tot_daily_visits_reg + female + age  ,
> data=(subset(facebook_merge,tot_pv>0)), zeroInflation=FALSE,
> family="truncnbinom1")
>
> However when I include a random effect on each individual in the
> data set I get the following error message:
>
> output <- glmmadmb(tot_pv~   time_last_visit + friends_residual+
> number_friends + like_counter + avg_gap_activity + dum_local +
> dum_sport + dum_more + dum_tvzap  + number_like +
> tot_daily_visits_o + tot_daily_visits_reg + female + age ,
> (1|group_id) , data=(subset(facebook_merge,tot_pv>0)),
> zeroInflation=FALSE, family="truncnbinom1")
>
> Error message
>
> The function maximizer failed (couldn't find STD file) In addition:
> Warning message: running command './glmmadmb -maxfn 500 -maxph 5
> -noinit -shess' had status 1
>
> Need to increase the maximum number of separable calls allowed to
> at least 20001 Current value is 20000 Use the -ndi N command line
> option

 [snip]