[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm Starting Value structure

Robin Jeffries rjeffries at ucla.edu
Fri Oct 5 22:28:55 CEST 2012

I am encountering the same problem of defining the starting values,
yet for a different model. I am running a survival model with no
random effects on n subjects.

run1 <- MCMCglmm(cbind(low, up) ~ var1 + var2,
              family="cengaussian", data=sex,
              nitt=2100, thin=5, burnin=100,
              prior = prior1, tune=NULL, pl=TRUE)

prior1 <- list(R = list(V=1, n=0.002),
                       B = list(mu=rep(0,2), V=prior.var))

Since I have no random effects, there is no G matrix and  the
liabilities are just a single vector with a scalar variance.
So for example, say I want to start the liabilities at 1
prop.mean <- as.matrix(rep(1,n))
and a prior variance
prop.var <- 3

If I don't provide starting value for my residuals, R,
test2a <- MCMCglmm(cbind(low, up) ~ var1 + var2,
                 family="cengaussian", data=sex,
                 nitt=2100, thin=5, burnin=100,
                 prior = prior1, tune=prop.var,
                 start=list( liab=prop.mean, QUASI=FALSE),
                 pl=TRUE)

I get the error message: Error in if (dim(tune[[i]])[1] !=
dim(tune[[i]])[2] | dim(tune[[i]])[2] !=  :
  argument is of length zero

Since R is a scalar, I tried to use the same structure as the prior
run2b <- MCMCglmm(cbind(low, up) ~ var1 + var2,
                 family="cengaussian", data=sex,
                 nitt=2100, thin=5, burnin=100,
                 prior = prior1, tune=prop.var,
                 start=list(R=list(V=1),
                            liab=prop.mean,
                            QUASI=FALSE),
                 pl=TRUE)
but got the same dimension mis-match error.

If i use the error term from run1  as starting values for R,
run2c <- MCMCglmm(cbind(low, up) ~ var1 + var2,
                 family="cengaussian", data=sex,
                 nitt=2100, thin=5, burnin=100,
                 prior = prior1, tune=prop.var,
                 start=list(R=list(V=run1$error.term),
                            liab=prop.mean,
                            QUASI=FALSE),
                 pl=TRUE)

I get the error: Error in eigen(m, only.values = TRUE) :
  (list) object cannot be coerced to type 'double'

At this point I cannot decipher what it is I need to change to
properly provide starting values.

Thanks,
-Robin