[R-sig-ME] nlme: spatial autocorrelation on a sphere

Malcolm Fairbrother m.fairbrother at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 12:49:55 CEST 2012

I struggled with this a couple years ago, and the best solution I could find (or at least that I think I found) was to modify corStruct.R, gls.R, and lme.R, adding a new function "dist2" which can calculate distances using "rdist.earth" from the "fields" package. I re-compiled nlme with these modifications, to make dist2 load automatically with nlme (and "fields" loads when required). This makes rdist.earth a valid choice of metrics, for corSpatial and similar functions.

The only change to gls.R and lme.R is to replace:

      distance <- lapply(covar,
                         function(el, metric) dist(as.matrix(el), metric),
                         metric = metric)

with:

      distance <- lapply(covar,
                         function(el, metric) dist2(as.matrix(el), metric),
                         metric = metric)

In corStruct.R you just need to replace calls to "dist" with calls to "dist2", and add the code below to create the function dist2. Then the call looks like, for example:

lme(y ~ x, random = ~ 1 | group, correlation = corExp(form = ~ LONG + LAT | group, metric="rdist.earth"), data=dat)

There may be more elegant ways of doing this (and obviously so for more professional coders), but I believe this works. Maybe this will save you some time, Ben.

Cheers,
Malcolm

dist2 <- function (x, method = "euclidean", diag = FALSE, upper = FALSE,
    p = 2)
{
    if (!is.na(pmatch(method, "euclidian")))
        method <- "euclidean"
    METHODS <- c("euclidean", "maximum", "manhattan", "canberra",
        "binary", "minkowski", "rdist.earth")
    method <- pmatch(method, METHODS)
    if (is.na(method))
        stop("invalid distance method")
    if (method == -1)
        stop("ambiguous distance method")
    N <- nrow(x <- as.matrix(x))
    if (method == 7) {
        require(fields)
        d <- rdist.earth(x, miles=F, R=6371)[lower.tri(rdist.earth(x, miles=F, R=6371))]
        } else {
        d <- .C("R_distance", x = as.double(x), nr = N, nc = ncol(x),
          d = double(N * (N - 1)/2), diag = as.integer(FALSE),
          method = as.integer(method), p = as.double(p), DUP = FALSE,
          NAOK = TRUE, PACKAGE = "stats")$d
        }
    attr(d, "Size") <- N
    attr(d, "Labels") <- dimnames(x)[[1L]]