[R-sig-ME] user-defined covariance matrix for linear mixed models

Vincent Careau vcareau at ucr.edu
Mon Oct 1 18:28:12 CEST 2012

Hi,
I would say ASReml-R. It is free for academics using Windows. I don't know
if someone else figured out how to do an animal model (that seems like what
you want to do - or something very similar) with other mixed model packages
in R.  ASReml-R uses the Average Information algorithm. Perhaps the typical
methods used for the R packages would take too long with as many random
effects as an animal model is trying to estimate.

By the way, Matt Wolak just created the "nadiv" package that you can use to
include dominance in your animal model, given you have the pedigree links to
estimate it independently from additive genetic variance.
Good luck,
vc

Vincent Careau
NSERC Postdoctoral fellow