[R-sig-ME] Sampling methods for MCMCglmm using cengaussian family

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 18:08:05 CEST 2012

Hi Robin,

Jarrod may be along at some point with a more definitive answer but:

If you have not already, you should read:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/MCMCglmm/vignettes/CourseNotes.pdf
They are excellent and I think you may find Chapter 7 informative.

Of course you have a posterior distribution for latent scores.  You
always will, although if you had no random effects other than
residuals and all observed noncensored gaussian, it would be a
prodigiously boring posterior with no variability across draws, but
there all the same.  In your case, for censored cases it will vary by
draw.

To answer your questions.

1) I am not sure.
2) Yes, MH is being used.  Again the technical details on the course
notes provide some more information on sampling schemes.
3) As far as I can tell you cannot.  You can set it via the tune
argument.  You set NULL so the default start is used

 if (is.null(tune)) {
        AMtune = c(rep(FALSE, nG), rep(TRUE, nR))
        for (i in 1:nR) {
            tune[[i]] = diag(nfl[nG + i])
        }
    }

this is passed to .C, but as near as I can tell, is not returned from
the R MCMCglmm() function.  So it would seem you do not extract it.  A
quick poke around MCMCglmm.cc, suggests it is the 34th
argument---probing deeper there may get you some traction if you
really want.

Side comment, you are using small variances on the prior for your
fixed effects.  Just wanted to point it out if not intentional.

Cheers,

Josh