[R-sig-ME] A modeling question for the ecologists

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Fri Sep 21 04:23:34 CEST 2012

I'm not in Ben's league (either as an ecologist or as a statistician) and proof of that might be with the following questions/comments:

1.  By having presence of dogs as the dependent variable it seems that your question (potentially) addressed by the model is "Given that we have a capture from a nocturnal species, what proportion involved dogs?"  But that would be influenced with how often dogs were used (which has nothing to do with how well dogs can detect certain species).

2.  Activity is a known and singular quantity for each species (or at least there is just a single assessment even if it might be wrong).  Wouldn't the capture rate by dogs depend on the harvested species?  I'm not understanding what an overall effect of "activity" might mean given the different numbers of each species available to be captured and how well a dog detects any particular species.

3.  It would seem that the units of replication would have to acknowledge multiple harvests (and I'm assuming that there are multiple harvests some with dogs and some without) and different areas harvested rather than the individual captures.  From your description I assume that "Dogs" are applied to individual "harvests".  (Not to mention the use of different dogs or numbers of dogs.)

Jim Baldwin