[R-sig-ME] Cumulative link mixed model appropriate in a 2x4 design?

Rune Haubo rhbc at imm.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 20 12:44:40 CEST 2012

On 20 September 2012 12:22, Klemens Weigl <klemens.weigl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear David and Jarrod,
>
> so far I tried a lot :-).
>
> 1st solution:
> To run a linear mixed model with 'the 2 groups/treatments' as fixed effect
> and 'the 4 time points' as random effect. It showed a significant group
> effect. Then it is interesting on which time point. My colleagues just want
> 4 t-tests for independent measures at each time point. If run them it
> showed - Bonferroni-corrected - only one significant time point.
>
> 1) Is this approach okay?
>

> 2nd solution:
> I also wanted to apply the cumlutative link mixed model with L.a..
> --> the response was 'size' (continuous)
> --> fixed effect 'treatment' (2 groups)
> --> random effect 'weeks' (4 time points).
> The problem: I always got:
> FEHLER:
> response needs to be a factor
>
> I used the following R-code:
>> library(ordinal)
>> fm1 <- clmm2(size ~ treatment, random=weeks, data=data)
> and then:
>> fm1 <- clmm2(size ~ treatment, random=weeks, data=data, Hess=TRUE,
> nAGQ=10)
>
> In the wine data example of the clmm2-tutorial the bottles of wine first
> were rated from 0 to 100 and then 'transformed' into the rating of 1=
> "least bitter", 5= "most bitter".
>
> 2) Do I also have to transform the continuous 'size' response into
> something like a 1 to 5 rating, before I can apply the clmm2-model?

Yes, essentially you would have to do that in order to apply clmm or
clmm2. I would however not use a mixed effects model for these data at
all. If you had more than one observation per mice, that could be
relevant, but not here. That means I would also treat the time
variable as fixed. I would also start out with a linear model / 2-way
ANOVA. A cumulative link model on a coarsened version of 'size' could
possibly be relevant if you are concerned about the normality
assumption (but a transformation of 'size' might just be better) or if
you are just dying to get predictions in terms of probabilities. I
would be more concerned about correlation between time points, in
which case gls from the nlme package could add an AR1 structure to the
model, but it doesn't sound as if you have a dataset large enough to
identify a correlation structure and it might not be important.

> First I thought there - compared to t-tests for independent samples where
> one also can easily apply the Mann-Whitney-U-test if the  data are
> non-normal... - might also be no problem just to apply clmm2 and it should
> at least show me some results.
> But it showed: response needs to be a factor.

As it says: the response needs to be a factor for a clm or a clmm to be fitted.

Hope this helps,
Rune