[R-sig-ME] Phylogenetic Logistic Regression + MCMCglmm

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 11:50:21 CEST 2012

Hi,

Quoting Joanna L Baker <J.L.Baker at 2008.hull.ac.uk> on Mon, 3 Sep 2012
17:10:04 +0100:

> Dear Jarrod,
>
> Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately I still have issues
> with convergence even when the residual variance is fixed. Part of the
> problem I was having was the specification for visualizing the posterior
> distributions of the phylogenetic portion of the analysis.
>
> This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between:
>
> plot(my2$VCV[,1])

This is the variance of the phylogenetic effects at the tips (if the
tree is scaled and ultrametric) on the latent scale.

> plot(my2$VCV[,1]/(rowSums(my2$VCV)+pi^2/3)).

my2$VCV[,1] depends on your choice of R$V. The above is the
intra-class correlation on the latent scale and does not depend on R.
pi^2/3 is the variance of the logistic distribution.  Think of the
model in this way:

latent = mu + u + e + e'

where e is the normally distributed residual with variance R$V, and e'
is an additional residual distributed as logistic (if logit link
used), or normal (if probit link used) or extreme value (if
complementary log-log link used).  The variance of e' with logit-link
is pi^2/3.

Note that the outcome is not stochastic when e' is conditioned on. In
this case if latent<0 then the outcome is 0 with probability 1.

> The two produce very obviously different graphs, and I was wondering
> what exactly the second part of the latter plot is related to?
>
> Even looking at the correct graph for the phylogenetic part of the
> analysis, it seems I am having trouble with 'animal' converging, and
> have massive issues with the variance. I have attached the posterior
> distributions for both your example (PhyLogRegSIM.pdf) and my own data
> (PhyLogRegDAT.pdf) to illustrate the problem.  This occurs even when
> running the models for a longer time.

I would say that the phylogenetic signal in your data is high and/or
sample sizes are small and/or one outcome is rare (you need v. large
sample sizes with binary data).  The chain is getting "stuck" at H2
(or lambda) =1. You could run it longer, but I suspect you are hitting
numerical problems (|latent variable| exceeding 20).  One option is to
move to probit link (family="ordinal") and use the chi square prior
(see http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel/8531)
which down weights H2 values very close to 0 or 1 compared to some
other priors. If the absolute value of the latent variable stays below
7, you should be OK. If not, you will probably have to move to another
piece of software which can deal with extreme predicted probabilities
more elegantly. I have used truncated latent variables in my own work,
but I'm not convinced they are a general or robust solution so have
not implemented them in the release version.

Cheers,

Jarrod

> I much appreciate your time and advice on this matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Joanna Baker
>

> Below is the code for my model specification:
>
> prior1=list(R=list(V=1, fix=1), G=list(G1=list(V=1, nu=1, alpha.mu=0,
> alpha.V=1000)))
>
> myAinv2<-inverseA(mytree)$Ainv
> my2<-MCMCglmm(DV~IV, random=~animal, ginverse=list(animal=myAinv2),
> 	family="categorical", prior=prior1, data=mydata,
> 	nitt=10000000,thin=1000,burnin=100000)
>
> plot(my2$Sol)
> plot(my2$VCV[,1]/(rowSums(my2$VCV)+pi^2/3))
>

> c2<-((16*sqrt(3))/(15*pi))^2
> my2.int<-my2$Sol/(sqrt(1+c2))
> my2.int
> posterior.mode(my2.int)
> summary(my2.int)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.