[R-sig-ME] Split plot design with repeated measures - model errors (nlme)

Anthony Rietl anthony.rietl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 02:50:03 CEST 2012

Dennis,
Thanks for the response. For clarification, the treatments are
assigned to tanks at random. For example, all 18 tanks were randomly
assigned a nutrient treatment (1, 2, or 3) and randomly assigned a
clip treatment (a, b, or c). That gives 9 combinations, each
replicated once in a total of 18 tanks. After trying the model you
suggest (m1 <- lme(ch4 ~ t * spp * nut * clip, random = ~ 1 | tank/nut
* clip/spp,
> data = ch4data) I get another error - "Error in getGroups.data.frame(dataMix, groups) : Invalid formula for groups"

If I run the model without specifying nut*clip nested within tank, the
model runs leaving me to still suspect that I am still unclear how to
specify my nesting correctly. This is the model that runs - ch4.model
<- lme(ch4 ~ t * spp * nut * clip, random = ~ 1 | tank, data =
ch4data)

I will look through  Pinheiro and Bates (2000), thanks for pointing me to it.

Anthony