[R-sig-ME] lme4 with Poisson

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sat Sep 1 00:49:25 CEST 2012

Surely, if one uses the lme4 formulation to model observation
level random effects, this is modelling what is commonly called
over dispersion.  If the observation level component of variance
is greater than zero, then any over dispersion is to some extent
accounted for.

There is an issue of whether this is appropriately modelling
overdispersion -- the scale parameter may change with changes
in the fitted value.  Checking for this is a matter of some subtlety.

Now back to Lynne's specific question:

I do not see how one can use a (1/df)*deviance formula to check
whether the over-dispersion has been accounted for.  I presume
this is the residual df from the fitted model.  For reasons that were
explained on this list quite a long time back, the df are for this
purpose inappropriate.  NB that this is a multi-level model.  Within
the model formulation that you are using, it is the observation level
component of variance that tells you about the extent of overdispersion.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm