[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm poisson / not poisson

Mikhail Matz matz at utexas.edu
Wed Aug 29 18:23:21 CEST 2012

Hi Jarrod -

I see how the means of random effects don't have to be normal (they just happen to be close to normal in my case, which is rather surprising). What I am concerned about is the Poisson residuals, corresponding to the difference between exp(latent variable) (latent=as.vector(apply(model$Liab,2,mean))) and the observed counts.  Each count should be a sample from a Poisson distribution with the mean=exp(corresponding latent variable), correct? This is what I still cannot convince myself about. Or is the sample truncated in some way (say, only allowing the numbers larger than or equal to the mean?)

cheers

Misha