[R-sig-ME] multiple comparisons with MCMCglmm?

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 10 02:18:16 CEST 2012

If you are using the MCMC results to make comparisons in
the same manner as for frequentist results, then the sampling
properties are entirely comparable.  If you want to move from
comparison-wise 5% CIs to overall 5% CIs, then some kind of
multiple range correction might in principle be used.  But this
usually not the way to go; MCMC gives you sampling statistics
from which you can fairly directly extract overall 5% CIs.  You
can directly extract the sampling distribution for, e.g., the Tukey
HSD, if that is what you want.

(If you are in a Bayesian mindset, you might think of the frequentist
analysis as derived using an unstated Bayesian prior -- typically
there is a prior that will give you the frequentist results.)

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm