[R-sig-ME] Is there an R function for GLMM with binary response, nested random factors, and temporal correlation?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 9 18:21:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Andrew Digby <andrewdigby at mac.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your advice. Can I interpret it  to mean that it's not correct to specify a correlation structure (beyond that induced through random effects) in generalised models? I had thought that although prone to some issues, this was possible; see e.g. Ben Bolker's and Alain Zuur's reponses here: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2012q1/014937.html. In my case, I think I do have 'small-scale correlation', with repeated measures of a subject taken in rapid succession on a particular day. My residuals don't show gross heterogeneity, so I may not need to alter the variance structure to allow for that.

Perhaps Ben or Alain can provide more information on models that
incorporate correlation structure in binary responses.  There may be
definitions of these using copulas or something like that but I don't
know enough about that area to be able to provide advice.

> I'd be grateful for general advice on whether a GLM with temporal correlation structure is an adequate method in this case. Or should I tackle MCMC instead? (I have Zuur et al's excellent books.) However, this is a small part of my overall analysis, so I'd prefer to keep things as simple as possible!

One way to achieve a temporal correlation structure is to have a
random effect for slope with respect to time for each subject.