[R-sig-ME] basic question

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Fri Aug 3 03:37:59 CEST 2012

If the objective is to obtain an approximately unbiased estimate for the prediction of a future observation that would have the same variance components as found in the fitted model, then multiplying the backtransformed value by exp of "something like sum(sapply(VarCorr(model),diag))+sigma(model)^2 ..."/2 is a reasonable thing to do as Dr. Bolker suggests.

But if the approximately unbiased prediction is for a different situation which might not include either the same or all of the variance components in the fitted model, you'll need to think about which ones to use.

Also, (and this is likely very obvious) if the multiplicative correction is much larger than around 1.5, I'd have to wonder about the goodness-of-fit of the distributional assumptions of the model.  Sometimes this bias correction can give results that are way outside of observed values on the original scale.  (And, at least for me, I'd also check my code in such situations.  It's many times my fault and not the data's fault.)

Jim

Jim Baldwin
Station Statistician
Pacific Southwest Research Station