[R-sig-ME] lme4 - GLMM dispersion parameter?

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 2 00:39:54 CEST 2012

If Liam is wanting the (approximate) equivalent of a dispersion
parameter, then put in an observation level random effect.
Create a factor that has one level for each observation, and
include this as a random effect (maybe +~1|obs)

Genuine poisson variation is uncommon in such contexts --
typically one can expect some clustering.  One should
accordingly check the fitting of an observation level random
effect.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm