[R-sig-ME] comparing 3 levels of fixed factor in lme4

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 13:00:18 CEST 2012

Perhaps Andrew has vaguely at the back of his mind the notion
that for comparing >2 means, one should be using a multiple
range test or an anova test, at all events if the aim is to achieve
an experiment-wise 5% level.  Tests based on the individual
t-statistics are not independent.  This is of course a somewhat
controversial area.
John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm