[R-sig-ME] Specifying 'correct' degrees of freedom for within-subject factor in *nlme/lme* repeated measures ANOVA?

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sat Jul 28 13:08:56 CEST 2012

Hello -
The proper degrees of freedom will depend on what error you specify.
I'd expect there is a between Channels component of error that affects
the slope estimates.  In that case your error term maybe should be
random=~Discharge|ChannelUnit

One can of course check whether the estimate of the relevant component
of variance is greater than 0, and if so whether it is of any consequence.

In such analyses, it is commonly assumed that the variation between
slopes can be entirely explained by variation about a line whose clop
is constant (here, across ChannelUnits).  Experience with previous
such data may establish whether this is a reasonable assumption.
A cautious analyst will, if the data allow it, want to check this assumption.

The degrees of freedom are of consequence only when you want to
move from F-statistics or t-statistics or other such statistics to p-values.
They are part of a mechanism that is used to get approximate p-values.
The p-values are, in general, not well-defined -- assumptions are made
along the lines of the assumptions that underpin the Behrens-Fisher
test.  If the model is balanced they can in general, most pundits will I
think argue,  be used as a reasonable guide.  If the model is badly
unbalanced, they should be treated with caution.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm