[R-sig-ME] Extracting means and SE from lme & lmer with random terms

Julie Kern juliekern27 at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 23:35:22 CEST 2012

Dear R gurus,

I’ve done a lot of reading around this topic but can’t seem to find a
solution that is working.

I am running linear mixed models with lme & a few glmms with lmer
(binomial response term). I would like to extract (not predict) the
means & their SE of the fixed effects from the model but am having
difficulties. For example, having run the model

Vocalising<-lmer(Vocalsing~Sex+Age+Rank+fixef4...fixef7+(1|Group/ID),
data=mydata, family=binomial, REML=FALSE)

I would get a value for the mean proportion of males and females that
vocalised during bouts as well as the standard error of the
proportion.
I have tried using allEffects in the effects package but am only
managing to get means. Is this because I have random terms in my model
as well as fixed? If so how would you recommend I proceed?
I have tried using  attr(ranef(mymodel, postVar = TRUE)[[1]],
"postVar")as recommended on http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq but this
produces a list of 40 or so numbers so I’ve clearly misunderstood
this!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Julie