[R-sig-ME] lmer output shows laplace approximation not reml

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 18:56:11 CEST 2012

Hi Yolande,

It is not clear what REML is with GLMMs.  In LMMs, REML maximizes the
liklihood that only depends only on the variance components by
conditioning on the fixed effects.  AFAIK (Dr. Bates will hopefully
correct me if I am wrong or step in with a more thorough explanation)
it is unclear what the conditional distribution that depends only on
variance components would be with nonlinear models.  The only
approaches I know of that still do something REMLish use iterative
linear approximations (e.g., the glimmix macro did this with repeated
underlying calls to proc mixed in SAS).

So, I do not think it is surprising that with a GLMM (which mixed
effects poisson is), REML does nothing.

Cheers,

Josh